We’re absolutely thrilled to announce that the EABA Challenger Baseball program is now open for registrations!
With support from the Jays Care Foundation, EABA will be hosting it first season of Challenger Baseball. This adaptive baseball program specifically designed to empower children, youth and adults living with physical and/or cognitive disabilities. While ensuring every athlete has the opportunity to play in a fun and safe environment the program is designed to teach its athletes the core life skills inherent to baseball, including: teamwork, communication, determination, resiliency, inclusion, support and courage. Challenger Baseball helps players learn to become more independent, build confidence and self-esteem, improve their communication skills, and set and achieve their own personal goals.
Baseball games are played in a fun, safe environment where no score is kept. Able-bodied “Buddies” are assigned (one on one, where possible) to each participant. These Buddies assist the Challenger players with their involvement in the game. Buddies assist by offering better experience for the participants in Challenger Baseball. From pushing wheelchairs around the base path, assisting players in how to hold the bat and swing, to providing protection for the Challenger player from a batted ball, are just a few of the ways the Buddies help to make experience great.
This program is open to all players (male and female) ages 4 and up with special needs.
Challenger Season Details:
- Games: Wednesdays from 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Players are asked to arrive 5-10 minutes early
- Season: 8 weeks – May 3rd through to June 28th
- Location: Mill Woods Sports Park (2730 – 66 St NW)
- Large fenced diamond with shale infield, sheltered dugouts and bleacher seating
- West of main parking lot
- Close to park facilities
- Picture Day: Saturday, May 13, 2023
- Millhurst Community Hall (5811 – 19a Ave NW)
- Specific group times to be confirmed (Between 9:00 am – 5:00 pm)
- Year-end Celebration: Saturday, June 24, 2023
- Registration fees: $40 per Challenger player
Be a Buddy
Challenger “Buddies” are crucial to the success of the Challenger program. Able-bodied Buddies assist the Challenger players with their involvement in the game a help create better experience and amazing memories.
Buddies should be 11 years of age or older and able to commit to attending most, if not all, of the 8 weeks of games. Having buddies consistently attend the scheduled events will create the team environment, ensure players have a regular buddy and provide a great experience for everyone involved. Buddies will be appropriately match with a Challenger player and provided additional support to ensure success.
All buddies and Challenger program volunteers 18 years of age and older are required to have a Vulnerable Sector Search (VSS) completed within 6 months from the time of the start of the season. Access to complete the VSS is at no cost to the buddy will be provided by EABA once a buddy has registered.
Reasons to be a Challenger Buddy:
- Provide an amazing experience for others
- Fun and engaging
- Complete school leadership requirements
- Give back to the community
- Build incredible personal experience
- Free to register
To find our more and to register visit: