Ages 8-9 (9th birthday falls on or after January 1 of playing year - 2021)
This is also an introduction to baseball level for children aged 8 to 9 years old. The two main purposes of this level is to get children interested in the game of baseball and to begin preparing them for the next level, which is the 11U baseball. The season starts the first week of May. It is our goal to provide everyone involved in the sport with a fun and positive experience. This is accomplished by promoting active participation during the game and providing the players with the necessary fundamentals skills during games and practices to learn and develop their individual and team skills while also enjoying their baseball experience. All games will be played on the south side of Edmonton but primarily at Mill Woods Sports Park (2730 66 St NW). The objectives at this level are to focus on teaching proper throwing mechanics, fielding ground balls, catching, hitting and base running. Through active participation players will continue to develop their personal and team skills. Each Rookie team will consist of 6 – 9 players per team makes the innings go by quicker, therefore less time for kids to get bored.
It is recommended to have unlimited coaching assistants both on and off the playing field to help give children direction and we encourage parents to get involved and help out at practices and games.
- Team placement based on age and skill level
- Games Tuesday/Thursday
- Projected start date: June 6th
- Rookie / 9U Coach pitch Tournament - Date TBD
- Year end BBQ at Mill Woods diamonds - July 24th
- Picture Day: Saturday, June 26th, 2021, at Millhurst Hall
- Stealers: 1:20 - 1:40pm
- Sluggers: 1:40 - 2:00pm
- Rockets: 2:00 - 2:20pm
- Diamonds at Mill Woods Sports Park (2730 66 St NW)
- Registration Fees: $165.00
Game Day Structure:
- Players to arrive for 6pm warm up. Games begin at 6:30pm
- 6 - 9 players per team
- Each player to bat per inning
- Coaches pitch 5 pitches before player switches to the tee
- Games end by 8pm
Parent involvement/ Volunteering positions:
- Head & Assistant Coaches
- Team Manager
- Raffle Coordinator
- Jersey Parent
- Rookie Day Coordinator
- All players must have:
- CSA approved baseball helmet
- Running shoes (Rubber/Hard Plastic Cleats are optional - No Metal Cleats)
- Baseball pants (sweat or track pants are also acceptable)
- CSA approved protective cup
- Bats are optional (provided by EABA)
- EABA will provide players a shirt and baseball cap
Optional skill development:
- To learn new or refresh already existing skills
- $45.00 – April 11th & 18th from 6-8 pm at the Turf Training Centre.
- Pre-registration online is required
- Find out more about the Rally Cap / 9U Spring Camp.
Pre-Season Community Camp:
- This pre-season camp is available to players ages 8-18 years interested in developing their skills in a 6-week, grassroots off-season camp that covers all aspects of baseball. Camp will run Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays from March 16 – April 22.
More details available under PRE-SEASON COMMUNITY CAMP under the Development tab.
Space is limited. Register early.